Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tears

Being a stay at home mother (for now) means a few things. I will be able to witness Yee Sinn’s many firsts. I watched in amazement when Yee Sinn first lifted and turned her head from left to right, and right to left again. (cheap thrill some might say. Hahahah)

Today, Yee Sinn had her first drop of tears. It was so heart breaking….. Yee Sinn always has a problem swallowing her milk. This morning, she cried for her milk, gulped a few mouthful, then wailed loudly because she drank too fast. It was then, I saw a drop of tears from her left eye trickled down her cheeks. The only thing I could do was to burp her immediately as she continued to cry. Other than that, I was helpless.

I am wondering if I should stop latching her on my boobs and start pumping out the milk into bottles instead. Perhaps it will help Yee Sinn in her swallowing… The other advantage is I’ll be able to know how much she’s drinking and perhaps the pumping will be able to simulate more milk production. Also, more people in the household will be able to help out with her feeding. The flip side to this may mean the end to the very personal mother-baby bonding that I have with my baby. Though it may seems like a battle each time she whines and screams her head off when latching on doesn’t seems right, it’s a very fulfilling experience to see her end her feed with a contented and satisfied smile.

I’m going to try latching on for maybe 2 or 3 more weeks to see if things will get better… else it’ll be pumping and sterilizing of bottles from then on. Am keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck folks!

No comments: